Creating a Non-English Chatbot Solution in Teneo
When you created your first solution you chose English as the bot’s language and the tutorials on this site assume your bot understands English. However, Teneo supports many more languages, which you can read about here: Languages.
The evaluation environment that is created for you when you sign up contains the resources needed that offer advanced support for Dutch, English, French, German, Norwegian and Swedish. On this page we will show you how you can create a German solution, but the same principle applies to French as well.
Create a new solution
The first thing you will do is create a new solution, select German as its mother tongue and base it on the template solution for German to boost it with a lot of pre-built flows like greetings, meta-requests (like Can you repeat that?), feedback (like Great! or You are stupid) and conversational small talk.
This is what you need to do to achieve this:
- Log in to Teneo Studio and select ‘Solutions’ in the menu on the left (if you have a solution open already, close it first).
- Click the ‘New’ button in the upper right corner. This opens a dialog box.
- Fill in a name for your solution, for example
Mein erster deutscher Bot.
- Make sure the ‘Solution Language’ for this first bot is German. This will be the mother tongue of your bot.
- Select ‘Solution Content’. Select ‘Create from Template’ > ‘Teneo Dialogue Resource German’. This will boost your bot with lots of pre-built flows.
- Click ‘OK’. It may take a couple of minutes for your solution to be created. You will be notified when it’s done.
Assign Lexical Resources
Next we need to assign the Lexical Resources for German, since they are used extensively by the German template solution that we used when we created this solution. But even if we had not used the template solution, assigning the Lexical Resources (TLRs) is important, as they help your bot to understand a specific language, its words, morphological variants, synonyms, and expressions.
Let’s specify which TLRs to use for your German bot:
- Open your solution by double-clicking its name in the ‘Solutions’ window.
- Click on the tab ‘SOLUTION’ in the upper left corner.
- Select ‘Resources’ in the purple bar on the left.
- Make sure the ‘Lexical’ tab at the top of the window is selected.
- Click ‘Assign Lexical Resource’ in the upper right corner, and select Teneo Lexical Resources German in the drop-down.
Now your solution contains all that is needed for your bot to have its first conversation.
Begrüßen Sie Ihren Bot
Time to talk to your bot in the ‘Try out’ panel.
- If you are still in the ‘Resources’ window, click on the arrow in the top left to go to the main solution window (the ‘HOME’ tab).
- If the tryout panel is not visible, make it appear by clicking the ‘Try out’ button on the right side of the window.
- Because you’ve just assigned the Lexical Resources, there will be a message at the bottom of the tryout panel that says ‘A reload of the engine is required to apply your recent changes’. Click Reload now to get rid of that message.
- Say hello to your bot. For example by using the following small talk questions:
Wie geht es dir?
Mein Name ist Hans
Wie heißen Sie?
Ich mag dich